The Brides Guide to All Things Wedding Dances..
This blog is for all brides and grooms to be and will cover everything from how to decide what dance to do and choosing music, to finding a dance studio and tips and tricks for enjoying your first dance.
In my last blog we talked about choosing a dance and touched on choosing music, but I think music is important enough to have a whole blog to itself.
In my years of teaching wedding dances, I’ve seen some major blow ups over special songs, so take your time and make sure you choose music that is right for both of you.
Some ideas for choosing your first dance song..
- Don’t just assume he/she will like what you’ve picked. Make sure you get your partner involved and not just go ahead and pick a song without him…sounds brutal, I know, but it happens all the time.
- Make sure you and your partner are both involved in the choice.
- Talk about all the music that means something to you and whether there are any songs that have bought you together in the past, created a special memory, or remind you of special events you’ve experienced as a couple.
- Create a playlist on Spotify of these songs and if you have heaps of time before your wedding i.e. (5 – 12 months in advance) keep adding to the playlist you’ve created as you hear songs that you like.
- A great date night idea is to have a couple of glasses of wine and sit down and go through some wedding playlists to spark your inspiration
- You can find these on Spotify (wedding songs 2020)
- If you’re stuck for time, don’t just Google the top first dance song and choose that. Google is a great option for inspiration, but dig a little deeper if you want something different.
- Remember your wedding dance song should be just as important as the music you’re walking down the aisle to.
- After talking about your expectations of your first dance (from last blog) remember, the songs don’t necessarily need to be about love and marriage, they could also represent something fun and upbeat.
Do you have any suggestions for songs?
Well, 2020 has been a bit of a challenge with so many weddings postponed. But some of the songs I’ve come across and loved are:
- The 2 of us – birds of Tokyo
- Lover – Taylor Swift
- Tiny Dancer – Elton John
- Can’t see straight – Jamie Lawson
- Stay with you – John Legend
- You’re the one that I want – John Travolta and Olivia Newton John.
On a personal note, for my wedding last year, we danced Hustle to World of our Love by Client Liaison, a song that David chose, and I absolutely loved because of it’s laid back feel… so don’t be afraid to experiment.
For more information catch up with our previous blogs and find out more at on our website.
My name is Dani Bliss and I’ve been choreographing and teaching couples their wedding dances for over 15 years. Last year I got married and experienced the wedding dance from a whole new perspective. My fiancée wasn’t a dancer and had all the usual worries about looking like a dork, but even I was nervous…